Thursday, September 22, 2011

You can always retake a class but you can never relive a party.

I was looking for a good party quotes from some kind of Neo or Rihanna song, but then I saw that and it really spoke to me.

If you have ever been anywhere near me before a party I am helping to prepare or host, you know I take it seriously. Party proofing, cleaning, making a menu – college gave me a lot of party throwing practice, and I like to have fun with it. And by fun, I turn all spazzy and anal. So Saturday, Shahab and I are hosting a housewarming party, and I am making a menu inspired by ‘Back to School’ (NU just started Tuesday). It’s kind of a theme that can easily become just things you enjoyed as a child, but that’s ok. I’m mostly trying to keep things autumnal, whimsical, and childlike. I like some kind of theme not only to give me focus as to what to prepare, but also because it’s a nice conversation starter when it gets really quiet. There will also be a good amount of foreign attendees, so it will be fun to hear what they think of as ‘Back to School’. Speaking of guests, I’m expecting 25 or 30 people, so everything has to be fairly simple, but it also can’t be too cheesy, or too fussy. I’ve been brainstorming for about a week now, and I thought I’d post my ideas so you can give me suggestions and feedback. What is a blog without dialog, anyways?

Dwinks:

This is where I get lazy. Typically, I like to make one giant pot of something that seems impressive, one smaller cocktail, and then let everyone bring wine and beer. I think that is a lot neater than a smorgasbord of mixers. Here is what I am thinking for this Saturday:

1) Buck Hunter:

I have adapted this from a drink at the greatest bar in the US, The Passenger, using proportions from a similar drink found online. This is obviously the hardest part to make seem like back to school like, so I was shooting for more autumnal and familiar:

- 1 L rye whiskey

- 2 L apple cider

-1 L ginger beer

- 200 ml lemon (this is where I’m not sure. Maybe a bit more)

- Angostura Bitters

Don’t hate on the metric system. Most alcohol bottles are in ml, so there. This seems like a nice fall mix between a high ball, spiced cider, and a whiskey sour. We went apple picking last weekend, so I could put some apple slices in the pot, or just some apples so people can get drunk and bob for apples in booze. That sounds like a bad idea.

2) Stolovaya White Russians

So I believe my local market sells absurdly cheap little cartons of milk, so I am thinking of just having a station with a bucket of milk cartons on ice, a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of Kahlua, and letting them make cafeteria-style White Russians (see it’s clever because Stolovaya is a cafeteria in Russian). Of course, you’d have to take a drink of milk first, but that’s ok.

3) Apple Jello Jigglers

Ok, so maybe not THAT lazy. Thinking back to being a tiny, Bill Crosby and flashes of jiggle shot through my brain, and I knew I had to make Jello Jigglers. I stumbled across the most amazing blog, and am envisioning something like this. The thing is, they don’t have their recipe there. Then, of course, Saveur saves the day with Apple Pie Jelly Shots, which I think I will modify by using whiskey instead of the Tuaca liqueur, and using food coloring for the red color.

Foods:

1) Brown butter sea salt rice krispie treats, c/o Kate

2) Homemade pizza rolls, c/o Kate (she needs to post about that one)

3) Crustless Banana and Nutella Sammys

4) Apples, celery and super unhealthy peanut butter dip, to which I think I will add some chopped, rum soaked dried cherries:

5) Goldfish crackers and grapes

6) Dino shaped chicken nuggets, if I can find them (the best) with sriracha ketchup

7) Mac n Cheese bites

8) I feel we could use one more thing. Ideas welcome.

So unlike most of my parties, I think the food will be relatively simple, but the booze will be more difficult, mostly because the jello apples seem really complicated. I’m actually pretty excited about this theme, and even more excited about my Anthro apple shirt I get to wear with a pair of huge bell bottoms and cranberry loafer platforms. I think all food pairings should come with outfit pairings.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot format these posts to save my life. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go...that sounds pretty adorable, and I know costco here has the dino chicken nugs, so maybe there too?

    the white russians sound awesome too, Max and I will be at the Lebowski fest bowling party so we'll have to toast our russians to yours.

    the only other snack I could think of is some sort of tiny hot dog thing, mini corn dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that I just looked for tickets to Chicago for tomorrow? No? Ok, good talk.

    ReplyDelete