Sunday, September 11, 2011

MashUp Recipes: Part Deux

The aforementioned Sara here, humble co-host of our monthly Noble Rot ("NR") wine club with my supernerd fiance, Benjamin. Thought I'd continue Hartwell's post and talk about the two contributions I made for NR on Friday.

Usually our NR themes are a direction for the wine-bringers and a sort of springboard for the food-bringers. But last month's "Cockatils & Dreams" theme allowed for a great food theme (I made candy-coated marshmallow cloud-pops sprinkled with non-pareils!), so I thought I'd try to focus a little more closely on this month's theme for my food. Thus, 'Best-Ever' Bison & Beef Meatballs and Paula Deen's Loaded Mashed Potatoes... Enjoy! xo.

'Best-Ever' Bison & Beef Meatballs (slightly modified from grouprecipes.com)
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 25 min
Serves 4 (note: I tripled this recipe and ended up with 50+ meatballs)

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground meat of your choice (since I tripled the recipe, I used 2 lb ground bison and 1 lb ground beef sirloin)
  • 1/2 small onion grated or finely diced and sauteed til translucent then cooled to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
  • 2 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder

Directions
  • Heat oven to 350°
  • Spray a medium sized cookie sheet with nonstick spray
  • Mix all the ingredients
  • Form into 1-1/2inch balls
  • Let them rest for 15 minutes
  • Cook on the baking sheet for 10 minutes
  • Turn them and cook another 10-15 minutes
  • Serve hot, with pasta & sauce if preferred


Paula Deen's Loaded Mashed Potatoes
(slightly modified from foodnetwork.com)
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 45 min
Serves 8 (note: I made 1.5x this recipe and ended up with twice the potatoes I needed for 12 people!)

Ingredients
  • 2 heads garlic
  • 6 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered (I used Yukon Golds)
  • Salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 (12-ounce) carton sour cream
  • 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white Cheddar, grated (I substituted Kraft's shredded Tripe Cheddar)
  • 1 1/2 pounds cooked bacon, julienned (I pan-fried the bacon in 1-inch strips, then just tossed it in the food processor)

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Cut tops off 2 garlic heads. Wrap in foil and roast for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle remove the flesh from the garlic heads and set aside. (I suggest cooking for 45 minutes and using a butter knife to remove the garlic from the skin of each clove)
  • In a large stockpot, cook potatoes in enough salted water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
  • Drain and return to stockpot. Beat with an electric mixer (I just used a potato masher) until smooth; adding salt, to taste, pepper, butter, garlic and sour cream. With a spatula stir in cheese and bacon. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment