Friday, September 9, 2011

How to Get into George Washington Carver's Breeches


While I really just wanted to post about my amazing shoes I have procured for fall (let's just say there is burgundy leather and leopard print calf hair involved, not to mention the tassels), it looks like I am to write about food. Well, Cocottes wear shoes, too. But for today, they eat cookies. Anyways, yesterday marked the day I perfected my oldest recipe: the peanut butter cookie. Phoo! naysayers, this cookie is not passe nor pedestrian, but the true champion of cookies: salty, sweet, chewy, soft, not trying to prove anything. As a kid, my mom had this 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie that, being the ultimate fat kid, I started making at a young age just to ensure a steady supply of tasty treats in my life. Since then, I frequently fall into a pb cookie phase, tinkering with the recipe each time.

It's a simple concept, which has been replicated over the internets too many times, really. The genius is that the peanut butter acts as both the flour and oil, so all you need is a sweetener, a binder and a leavener. Let the goober shine, I say.

Since gluten and I started fighting a few years back, this has become a go-to bake and take recipe. It's easy and I like to shock and awe partygoers with a no oil, no flour tasty cookie. And it's a good cookie, don't get me wrong. But until last night, when it appeared as the closer to Shahab's lovely Persian feast we enjoyed with new friends, this cookie never really did my love Mr. Carver justice. I have finally created a goober creation that could seduce even the most discerning of peanut butter fanatics. Onto the info:


Ingredients:

1 16 oz. jar of peanut butter (Chunky is more exciting, but I don't get between a man and his pb)

1 3/4 cup of sugar (don't overdo it. I mean it)

2 eggs

2 tsp Baking soda (make sure it's fresh. How do I know it's fresh, you ask? 1/4 tsp mixed with 2 tsp of vinegar should yield bubbles. Do it. You like bubbles)

1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or Quick oats both work fine. I like old fashioned. If you are gluten sensitive, some people don't do well with oats, especially the rolled kind. You can also use 1/2 cup of cocoa, if you don't want to play Russian Roulette with you insides)

Some vanilla

Rolling magic: 1/3 c sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, dash of salt


Get after it:

Mix the sugar, egg, peanut butter, oatmeal, baking soda and vanilla together, about 2 minutes. At this point, you should be concerned; the batter is much thinner than regular batter.

Grab a pinch of dough anyways, and drop it onto a plate with Rolling Magic. Sprinkle the Magic over the ball of dough until covered, and gently form it into a ball, and drop it onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheets. Though it will look suspiciously liquidy, rolling makes it much easier to handle and fail you the goober will not. Leave some room between them, as they will spread. If you want to do the fork press thing on top, go for it, but make sure it is pressed well, or you won't see it after baking.

Throw them in a heated 350 oven for about 12 minutes. Let them cool a couple minutes before gently letting them off the parchment and let them rest a bit, as they will firm a bit more, as the sugars and peanut butter turn into caramelly goo.

Yields about 30 cookies. That plate in the picture is what's left from last night's dinner. There were 4 of us. Read: double the recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment