Saturday, October 1, 2011

Soup is Good Food

Potato Leek Soup

I. Love. Soup. I'm not sure if this is a weird thing. I grew up with a lot of soup, my parents are all about it, if you go out to a meal with them they almost always order the soup. It's no secret, Flahertys are all about soup. (at least my little branch of them)
 
I actually had no idea that the saying "soup is
good food" had been put in my head by the
campbells soup people from an early age. Growing up my sister and I had these bowls that we would always eat soup from that said "at the bottom of the bowl, soup is good food" and that soup was mostly campbells if my dad made it, home-made if my mom did. Home made soup is awesome, but campbells is not bad either, if you've lived with me you know that I will never hesitate to just have a can (most likely tomato) of soup for dinner, annnnddd I totally just spent at least 1/2 an hour looking for that bowl online,and totally found it on ebay. Yeeeaaaa!

Annnyyywaaayyyss, potato leek soup is healthy and tasty and this is a soup Max and I make pretty often. It's great for a chilly night, but also makes really good leftovers. It's a recipe modified from an old weight watchers cookbook, and is great even if it does look a little bit like baby food. 
Potato Leek Soup

4 Large Leeks, white and green parts only, cleaned and chopped
4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used russets this time, it was still good, but the yukon golds definitely add more richness so I would recommend those)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cups (at least) veggie or chicken broth
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
olive oil or butter
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Heat about a TBSP of olive oil or butter (or both) in a large pot, add onions and leeks and red pepper, if using. Saute until leeks look a little wilted and onions are a bit translucent (about 7-8 minutes). 

Add the potatoes and saute for a few minutes, add garlic and cook til fragrant.

Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until veggies are tender, 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Your goal now is to puree the mixture, do that with your favorite puree tool, whether it be an immersion blender, food processor or regular blender.I normally put it back in a the soup pot and check for seasonings or add extra broth if it ends up too thick.

Serve with some sort of crispy onions on top (like Ina's fried shallots) and bread or a big salad. Noms




2 comments:

  1. I was really excited about your post title, becasuse I too love soup and also get this phrase stuck in my head whenever I make/think about/eat soup. Only, it's because of the Dead Kennedys, which I thought you were also referencing at first glance...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpidCc7wwY

    Anywho, that soup looks way delicious and I'm totally gonna make it as soon as it's chilly enoug again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird having to actually use my words instead of letting a button inform the page that I approve.

    I approve. I'm going to force Kate into making this with me next week.

    ReplyDelete